Saturday, April 17, 2010

Isle of Hope, Georgia

     I think I was a little harsh in my last blog when I said there wasn't much to do or see along coastal Georgia.  Our 2-day stay at the Isle of Hope Marina near the northern border of Georgia certainly opened my eyes to some really special things about this area (and how can you say bad things about a place with such a positive name?).  The marina is in a village of the same name--a quaint little place with winding roads, restored houses, tall pines and old oak trees draped with moss.  A few photos will tell the story better than I can, so here they are:

 A view of the Isle of Hope Marina on the Skidaway River.

 The view from our boat toward the town.

Looking in the opposite direction, upriver from our boat (nearing low tide).

The tides in this area are huge: 7 to 9'.  At high tide, this diagonal ramp will be nearly level.  Right now, the dock is partially sitting on the mud bottom.

 This road runs parallel to the river at the top of the marina.  This is where we walked.
     
     We have been trying to take long walks at each of our stops, which is a great way to see the area around the marinas as well as stretch our rubbery legs after long hours on the water.  A lot of people complain that they really get out of shape from being on a boat, but we are finding the opposite and credit our long walks (often hauling sacks of groceries or other needed supplies) for keeping us in some kind of shape.  Another bonus for me is that my balance has improved dramatically since being on the boat.  I guess trying to stay upright in choppy seas while walking around on deck challenges your equilibrium and now when I am on land, standing on one leg is a piece of cake (I used to have to hold on to something).
     Getting back to the photos, here are some of those beautiful homes we walked past along the river:





     Last of all, here is a sight we have yet to get tired of--beautiful old oak trees draped with Spanish moss (which really isn't moss at all and was named "Spanish" because the Indians thought it looked like the beards of the Spaniards who first discovered the area):


      One last note about our journey into Isle of Hope.  A few miles downriver, we passed St. Catherine's Island.  The Island is privately owned and visitation is very limited.  Part of the island is used as a survival center for endangered species (St. Catherine's Island Foundation along with the New York Zoological Society).  It seems the climate there is conducive for breeding several endangered species such as gazelles, parrots and Madagascar turtles.  Just what I thought Georgia needed--more gazelles, parrots and Madagascar turtles!  I wonder what they do with them?  Haven't found that out yet, but keep posted and I will let you know.




.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I think Georgia had the prettiest homes out of the southern states that we visited! Good job on the walks and can't wait to see where you'll stop next!!! I will be calling you real soon!

    ReplyDelete