Monday, March 29, 2010

Hanging out in Stuart, FL

     For the last 3 months, we have called Stuart our "home away from home," and we have come to like this little town (population 18,000 or so), located on the east coast of Florida (right on the Atlantic Ocean) between Palm Beach to the south and Fort Pierce to the north.  It's nickname is the "Sailfish Capital of the World," which is rather self-explanatory (factoid compliments of marina neighbor and friend Robin Evans, who also happens to be my personal photographer).  Anyway, Art & I have noticed a few things different from life in California--you don't see so many tattoos, and it is the normal body parts that get pierced; pants seem to fit better here and I haven't seen any screaming pink (or orange) hair highlights.  Another big difference--there aren't as many fast food or chain restaurants.  Instead, there are a lot of locally owned and mom-and-pop eateries with wonderful things on the menu (good-bye waistline, hello big butt).
     The climate here is usually warm and mild, but all that went to hell after we arrived on Jan 1. Supposedly the average rainfall is 58" a year, but I think most of it has fallen since we arrived.  It has also been the coldest winter ever, so our suntans are not up to Florida standards and I have yet to put on a bathing suit or dip my toes into any body of water that does not qualify as a bathtub.  Worst part has been the wind--ohmigod, some days there are white caps in the marina!
     In spite of the above comments, we have had a good time here.  Every day we see all kinds of wildlife and the plants and flowers are breath-taking.  Here are a few photos of what we like about being here:

 Enjoying Stuart

My favorite place.

Banyan trees forming a canopy over the road.

Some of our neighbors at the marina.

2 comments:

  1. Now that I have credit, I will have to "step up" my photo-ops...watch out when you head to the showers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great adventure....I am looking forward to furture blogs. Happy Cruising! Love, Cousin Donna

    ReplyDelete